Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I Made Stuff: An Ornament Wreath.. My Way

My floor is covered in glitter (its even stuck in my husband's beard) but this wreath turned out awesome! I made the mistake of glancing at a tutorial before hurrying to get my supplies, and halfway through realized there is a much easier way to make this. But nevermind that, let me show you the more difficult, more time consuming, more OCD inflicting way that I made my wreath!


First, gather a TON of ornaments. If you think you have enough for two wreaths, buy more. Trust me. Everything you'll need:


  • glue gun
  • lots of extra glue sticks
  • foam wreath form
  • ornaments, ornaments, more ornaments
  • a flower if your heart desires (mine did)
  • ribbon
Pretty easy, right? I bought all my ornaments at the 99 cent store, and everything else at Joann's. For 50% off. Score!

Ok so let's get started, why don't we.


the first genius thing I did was pour all my ornaments onto the kitchen floor. so that my floor would be covered in glitter and my kittens could run and slide into them 400 times and hour, clearly.


second, listen to what other people say and spray paint your wreath before glueing ornaments to it. I missed this step and regretted it immensely. it prompted the first bout of OCD to cover all green foam I could possibly find.


other people say you should glue all the ornaments around the outside and inside perimeters, but I took it upon myself to do it my own way. I just started gluing. It seemed to work. I did the a few on the inside, then worked my way around to the outside, and kept my wreath flat on that blue box to make sure it would also hang flat against the wall. here's where the second bout of OCD came in. I wanted it to look like the ornaments were randomly thrown on there, but my little mind couldn't do it. so I made sure not too many silver/gold/white were by another, and also no shiny/matte/glitter were next to one another.

once I was about ready to give up, I decided to add a poinsetta. it helped me gain back my sanity. with that sanity came the realization that my life would become easier if I glued the ribbon on before the ornaments, so I added ribbon. I doubled up on thin ribbon because I forgot to buy thicker. from here I just kept gluing, gluing, gluing until I reached the end!

bam. take that ornament wreath! I actually think it looks pretty dang awesome.

Let me know if you decide to make one of these babies, I'd love to see your variation! And incase you were wondering what the easier way is, its to hang all the ornaments by their tips on a wire hanger, then form it into a circle. areyoujoking? Oh well, I still like mine :)

What are you crafting this season? 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute Katie! That takes talent if you ask me.
-Katy R.

Julie @ The Smitten Mintons said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! I've been wanting to make one, but I think my husband may kill me if I buy any more Christmas stuff....I've gone just a little overboard already :)

... said...

This is just darling! :) THanks for stopping by today!