Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It's a New Year & Time for a Tidier Home!

I personally love the New Year holiday.. au contraire to some other peeps. I love that although nothing really changes, it gives you a chance to think about things you'd like to improve, accomplish, or complete. So what if lots of people don't keep their resolution all year, at least they thought of one! I think its important to evaluate your life every so often and New Years is the perfect time for it :)

The New Year is also a great time to reflect on what you've been up to lately (my 2011 post is coming soon!) and I think that is also very healthy. It's easy to forget the little things; when I was writing down notes for a post about 2011 I could barely remember what I did last spring. Although, I think that is partially due to a wedding-planning induced anxiety coma. Yup, that did make sense.

Anyways, thats why I love new years. Its a simple holiday but I just love the freshness of it!

So this year, I really wanted to put some thought into my resolution. I don't do a resolution every year, only when I feel like I have the time and/or energy to keep it up. This year it was actually prodded by a lovely lady asking me to tell my resolution for a blurb about me on her blog!

So I got to thinking.. what can I resolve to do that will be meaningful, impactful [atleast in my household], and keep-able? Sure I could spare a few pounds around the love handle area ish, I certainly could wake up earlier, cook more meals for my husband.... or keep my house cleaner! Yup that sounds totally doable doesn't it?!



A tidy home is a happy home.

Yeah, I just made that up. But I totally believe it!
{source}

So if you know me in real life, you know this is kind of a big deal and semi-unnatural for me. All my life my dad has called me a 'walking debris trail' because you can usually tell exactly where I've been in the house and which route I took too, based upon my stuffs I leave behind. 


BUT even thought I tend to be a cluttery person, I actually hate clutter. [fun fact: clutter is as a matter of fact, my favorite word to say. say it with me.. clutter. Wasn't that nice?] I really hate clutter and how it makes me feel like my life is in shambles. I like things to be neat and tidy but the problem is that I have OCD tendencies when I try to organize, and if everything doesn't have an exactly perfect spot, I just give up all together.


Which brings us here: a problem big enough to make a new year's resolution about :)


First I must organize and find a home for everything that's out. Lots of project ideas, clean folded clothes, mail, and useful crap. You know, stuff thats mine but needs to be put away! Once I have successfully gotten the place picked up I'll need to keep it that way! I have been doing this slowly so I don't get overwhelmed.






Here's how I plan to keep my resolution:

  • Make our bed each morning before starting my routine.
  • Wipe bathroom counter & mirror after getting ready in the morning.
  • Never move from one room to another empty handed, to eliminate the debris trail build-up.
  • Put away clean laundry immediately after picking it up from the dryer.
  • Keep crafts/projects put away until I am ready to actually work on them.
  • For things that must stay out (for instance I made bridal shower invites this weekend and didnt want to put them away each night in the middle of working) keep in organized piles, not a heap of paper.
  • [this is a big one] Don't drop everything at the door and plop on the couch when returning home! Put things I am carrying away before parking my booty on the couch for the night.
  • Finally, take 10-15 minutes each night to put away anything that is left after the rest of my steps!
Alright y'all, I have faith in myself that I. Can. Do. This. Please have faith in me too!! I would really love for my house to always be neat and that would make cleaning much easier too! Not to mention, Zach likes to straighten and organize things, so if I get them put away I know they will stay that way!


I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes! Maybe even show pictures of our little home!

Happy New Year! What is your new year's resolution this year?? Or do you hate them?



9 comments:

... said...

Such simple ways to organize and de-clutter! THanks hun!! :)

Lauren said...

I need to de-clutter my life too but I am so a frequent clutter-er. Haha I hate it but I create it, how do we not hate ourselves?? I totally understand where you're coming from. I've decided I'm going to try and keep a cleaner house this year which for me really means a tidier more kept one because it's usually pretty 'clean' just cluttered. I know it's easier said than done with working full time and parenting when I'm not BUT it's doable!! If anything I can at least IMPROVE the situation - it doesn't have to perfect, just better than it is now.

henning love said...

i love a tidy home! it just feel so put together and helps me relieve stress atually because i know that i don't leave work and head home to a mess! so bring on a tidy home all year long!!

Ruthie Hart said...

I agree, a happy home is a tidy home!! What a great resolution. I think making the bed makes a HUGE difference. I mean it only takes a couple seconds! And I need to work more on putting my projects and crafts away. Currently my hot glue gun is sitting out on my kitchen table waiting for me to make a bow for a friend. Gah! I am going to go do it NOW! And hubby and I spend 5-10 min everyday doing a little cleaning spree. It makes such a difference and even though the house isn't sparkling clean, its nice to have dishes and crap put away!

Amanda said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and it is too cute! I didn't even think about a tidier home as a New Years' goal for myself but it's a pretty darn good one! I always get so wrapped up in other things and get tired before I can clean or tidy the house! Adding it to my list now :)

BeckyJo606 said...

I'm visiting from henning love today! Keeping my house neater and cleaner is one of my biggest goals for the new year! I like the idea about taking something to each room as you leave to keep things where they belong! :)

Samantha said...

A clean home makes me feel SO much better about EVERYTHING! A strive for a clutter-free lifestyle! :)

I found your blog via Meg from Henning Love! I'm one of her January sponsors too!

Following you now!

Sam
http://petitefemmejolie.blogspot.com

Ashley Shelley - The Christian Wife Life said...

I am seriously the EXACT same way. Especially with the "debris" and plopping down on the couch. I'm trying to do some of those same things at our place but it's not easy when I'm so used to my terrible habits! One of my goals/resolutions was to make a cleaning schedule that was about 15 minutes a day of cleaning. It's been hard to keep up even for just one week, haha. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it. You should keep us updated on how it's going.

I came over from henning love, by the way. :) So glad I found your blog!

Much love,
Ashley

Elise said...

I think you have rubbed off on me. My room is a mess and it has been for a while... clothes everywhere. Remember those days? :) and I do like the New Year, just not NYE FYI Love you!!